For some reason every now and again when a new toner is installed in the Brother MFCL8600CDW MFCL8850CDW and MFCL9550CDW the reset switch isn’t triggered and the toner counter doesn’t get reset. The following is a manual reset for you printer that you can use to reset the counter.
- Open the front cover of your Brother MFC laser printer where you can access its toner cartridges.
- Press and hold the STAR (*) button for about 5 seconds to see the toner menu on the screen (it will not be lit up – you can light it up by selecting the fax option with the cover closed and remembering where it is).
- Select the toner you need to reset. Press “yes” to reset the selected toner cartridge. Repeat for each toner cartridges colour as required.
- Close the front cover.
DONE.Note: for selecting the correct toner you need to understand the cartridge code system Brother uses:
- Black is K, Magenta is M, Cyan is C and Yellow is Y
- TNR = toner
- STR = starter cartridge (the toner cartridges that came with your printer)
- STD = standard toner or TN341
- HC = high yield toner or TN346
Please leave a comment if you find this guide useful or there is anything I can add to it to make it easier to follow.
This has been tested on the MFC-L8850CDN but should also work on MFC-L8600CDW and MFC-L9550CDW as they are the same series.
Some users have worked out that if there are any jobs in the printers memory it will not let you into the reset menu.
To fix the please Switch off the printer and remove the USB or network cable. If you use wifi you may have to disable the printers wifi.
After that power up the printer and try the reset again.