Sometimes when replacing Brother toner the flag that trips the toner reset fails to correctly reset the counter. Fortunately you can reset the counter using the following procedure.
For the printer only versions ( HL3150CDN, HL3170CDW)
- Open the front toner cover.
- With the front cover open, press both the Cancel and Secure buttons at the same time.
- The reset menu will now appear on the display.
- Scroll through the menu to select a colour and yield to reset (if some one could comment exactly what the code is in here I will update this article) .
- The LCD will read “Accepted” once the reset is complete.
Note: for selecting the correct toner you should understand the cartridge code system Brother uses:
- Black is K, Magenta is M, Cyan is C and Yellow is Y
- TNR = toner
- STR = starter cartridge (the toner cartridges that came with your printer)
- STD = standard toner
- HY = high yield toner
For the Multi-Function versions ( MFC9140CDN, MFC9330CDW and MFC9340CDW )
- Press the X (Cancel) button to show the main menu.
- Press the Fax button to make the numeric keypad visible. Then locate the Star button on the numeric keypad and remember its location as it will not be lit up later.
- Press the Home button to return to the main menu.
- Open the front toner cover of the printer.
- With the front cover open, press and hold the unlit Star button for 5 seconds.
- The reset menu will now be displayed.
- Use the reset menu to select the colour and yield you wish to reset.
- The display will show “Accepted” once the reset is complete.