If you replace a toner in your Brother MFC9460CDN and the counter doesn’t correctly reset, you can use the following instructions to reset the counter.
- Turn the printer off and open the front cover.
- Then turn the printer on.
- The printer will display “Cover is open”, then press the “clear” key to display the Reset menu.
- Locate the correct toner option to reset and select it and press ok.
- Press ok to confirm the reset
- If performed correctly the printer will display “Accepted“.
- Close front cover and the printer should start up with the counter properly reset, and the error message gone.
Note: for selecting the correct toner you need to understand the cartridge code system Brother uses:
- Black is K, Magenta is M, Cyan is C and Yellow is Y
- TNR = toner
- STR = starter cartridge (the toner cartridges that came with your printer)
- STD = standard toner or TN340
- HC = high yield toner or TN348
So to reset the TN340M magenta toner counter you would select M.TNR.STD (Magenta~Toner~Standard yield).
Note: this procedure has been tested on the MFC-9460CDN
As always if you find this guide useful, or you have a suggestion on how to improve it, please leave a comment.